September - July 2018
June - May 2018
February - January 2018
September - July 2017
- We had a great time hosting Dr. David Feliciano from Clemson University who was our seminar speaker for the USC biological sciences!!
- Sofia presented our work on chromatin regulation and neuronal development at the Gordon Research Conference in Neuronal Development in Newport RI!!
- Sofia was invited to give a talk on our project on chromatin regulation and autism at the SC INBRE Science symposium!
- Evelyn presented our work on Chromatin regulation & Neuronal development at the Integrated Biomedical sciences student symposium!!
- The Lab welcomed Carly Tew!! as a work study student!!
- The Lab was awarded a multi-PI NIH grant as part of the COBRE on plant derivatives and Inflammation!! on our work on neuro-immune mechanisms in autism!! see link
June - May 2018
- Sunny presented her work on chromatin regulation & neuronal development at the USC Neuroscience retreat!!
- Sofia presented our work on the intersection of chromatin & immuno-modulatory pathways in autism at the Annual meeting of the NIH Center for epigenetic regulation of inflammation in Columbia SC!
- Congratulations to Mara, Duncan & Gustavo in getting admitted each into multiple graduate programs to continue their studies in neuroscience!!!!!!!
- Congratulations to Mara & Duncan on their graduation!!!
- Congratulations to Mara on receiving an NSF graduate research fellowship!!!
- Gustavo presented his work at the Prep program research day!!
- Congratulations to Anna for her NINDS Exceptional Summer Student Award to conduct research at NIH!!
- Congratulations to Mary-Kate for her Hartford Hospital Summer Pre-med & Research Award!!
- The lab was awarded a SC EPSCOR AWARD as part of a multi-PI collaborative grant on the intersection of chromatin regulatory pathways and mitochondrial function in autism spectrum disorders!!
- Sunny & Gustavo presented their work at the SC EPSCOR symposium in Columbia SC!!
- Mary-Kate, Duncan & Anna presented their work at Discovery day!!
- Congratulations to Mary-Kate on wining best poster award at Discovery day in biological sciences category!!
- Sofia presented our work on chromatin regulation and neuronal development at the Keystone symposium on Chromatin organization in Whistler, BC, Canada!!
February - January 2018
- Evelyn Chukwurah joined the lab as a postdoctoral fellow!!
- Sofia was awarded an Early Career Investigator Travel Award for Keystone symposia
- The Lab welcomed rotation student Veronica Bello-Ogunu from the Integrated Biomedical graduate program
- Sofia and Mara presented our work on Warburg microsyndrome at the international warburg microsyndrome clinical & basic research conference in Orlando, FL.
- The Lab welcomed rotation student Matt Zadrinsky from Biology graduate program!
- Congratulations to Anna Bagnell on receiving a Magellan Research Award!!!
- Sunny, Pankaj, Mara, Mary-kate, Duncan & Gustavo presented posters in all their different projects at the first South Carolina Autism and Neurodevelopmental Consortium (SCAND) Symposium!!
- Sofia gave a talk on Warburg microsyndrome at the SCAND symposium in Columbia, SC!!
- Sofia gave a talk on our neuro inflammation & autism project at the South east Regional IDeA meeting in Morgantown, WV!!
September - July 2017
- The Lab was awarded a Bioinformatics pilot award from SC INBRE to continue our work on chromatin regulation in autism spectrum disorders!!
- Sofia was invited to speak at Christopher Walsh Alumni symposium at Boston Children's Hospital in honor of his 60th Birthday!!! what a wonderful occasion!!
- Gustavo Martinez Munis a PREP program student joined us as post-baccalaurate researcher from Puerto Rico!!
- Solar eclipse !!!!!
- We had a great time hosting Dr. Chiara Manzini from George Washington University who was our seminar speaker for USC Biological Sciences!!
- Sofia and Pankaj are at the ISSCR meeting
- Pankaj presented his work on Warburg microsyndrome at ISSCR
- Sofia gave a talk at Brown University & Brain Neuroscience Institute Joint Stem Cell Minisymposium
- Congratulations to Nicholas on his graduation!!!
- Mara and Pankaj presented their work at the USC neuroscience retreat!!!
- Two new undergraduates join the lab, Mary-kate Lawlor (USC) & Petar Zotovic (Emory U)
- Congratulations to Pankaj, Nick & Mara !!! on winning first poster award at USC Discovery day on their poster categories!!
- Pankaj, Nicholas, Guillermo & Mara each presented posters on their projects at USC Discovery Day!! Strong work everyone!!!
- The Lizarraga lab joined the Science March in Columbia, SC! go Science!!!
- Congratulations to Mara!!! on being awarded a Barry W. Goldwater Scholarship!!!!!
- Congratulations to Pankaj!!!! on winning first poster award at the MUSC 18th Annual Frontiers in Neuroscience Meeting, in Charleston, SC!!
- Nick, Guillermo and Mara each presented posters on their work at the SYNAPSE conference in Presbyterian College, Clinton, SC!!
- Congratulations to Nick!! on getting accepted into Vanderbilt University graduate school program!!!
- Congratulations to Guillermo!! for being awarded a SURF award to conduct research in the lab!!
- Haley Andersen from the integrated biomedical graduate program is rotating in the lab
- Duncan Nowling a USC junior and Valerie Kay another USC junior joined the lab!
- The Lizarraga Lab was awarded a pilot grant from the COBRE Center of dietary supplements and inflammation at USC School of medicine, for our work on gene-environment interactions in autism
- Sofia is giving a talk on stem cell models of Christianson syndrome at the Gordon Research Conference on Membrane Transport Proteins in Lucca, Italy.
- Nicholas presented a poster at the USC neuroscience retreat!!
- Mara gave a talk at the USC neuroscience retreat!!
- Guillermo Pineda a USC sophomore joined the lab!
- Congratulations Pankaj! on receiving an ASPIRE postdoctoral award!!
- Congratulations to Nicholas on receiving a Magellan award for the summer of 2016 and to Mara on receiving a Magellan award for research in the fall of 2016!!!
- Congratulations to Mara on receiving an I&ES brain research foundation summer undergraduate research fellowship for the summer of 2016
- The Lizarraga lab was awarded an ASPIRE award for our work on chromatin regulators in autism
- Pankaj Ghate joined the lab as a postdoctoral scholar!!
- Nicholas Marinelli joined the lab as an undergraduate researcher!!
- Sofia is at ASCB in San Diego presenting on stem cell models of Christianson syndrome
- Congratulations to Mori & Amber who are graduating from USC and to Paul on his new job at Nestle!
- Congratulations Mara on her SURF award to conduct research in the lab!
- Seon Hye Cheon (Sunny) joined the lab as a part time research assistant
- Amber Douglas & Mori Shands are doing undergraduate independent studies with us this semester
- Matt Strauss is rotating in the lab
- Sofia presented her work on Stem cells and Christianson syndrome at the first international research conference on Christianson Syndrome at The Woodland, Texas!
- First class on stem cells in development and disease started on August 20th
- Mara Cowen joins the lab as an undergraduate researcher!!!
- Paul Brito-Vargas joined the lab as a research assistant!
- We finally move to our final space in the 4th floor of the life sciences building!